Saturday, October 11, 2008

Weekend warm fuzzies

Warm fuzzies...... everybody has them, they just come differently. I am been having warm fuzzies this weekend.
My kids are all here, under one roof, laughing, teasing, and just being together. I never knew how important that would be to me. I used to wonder why it was such a big deal to Andy's parents when we were all together.......well, guess what, I found out. No, I can't explain it, it just is, important that is. It gives a sense of completeness, and I suppose we all long to feel complete.

Friday night we met in Farmland. Every 2nd Friday they have a town "party". Venders line the sidewalks and the stores stay open late. It's that small town feeling that makes you feel like you really belong to something other than your immediate family or church.
One of the fun things about Friday, was the "Play it By Ear" Barbershop Quartet were there, walking the streets and singing to anyone who would listen. Conner "commissioned" them to sing for his girlfriend Katelyn as a surprise for there 1 year anniversary. Yes, now days, you have anniversaries to celebrate "going steady" as we used to say! Kids don't go steady anymore, they "go out". Yep, that is what they call it. The conversation goes something like this:

"Hey Mom, guess who I'm going out with?"
"UM, I dont' know who are you going with and more importantly, where???"
"NO Mom, I'm going out with them"
Uh, I don't know WHO you are going out with or WHERE you are going and you are not leaving with anyone if I don't know WHO and WHERE!"
"OH MOM, I'm not going anywhere, I'm going out with her/him!"
"Okay, now how can you be going OUT if you are not going anywhere?! and with whom are you not going with???"
"Oh nevermind....."

Yep, and these days, if you are "going out" with someone, you aren't single. Now, when I was in school, we were single until we were married. Not anymore, if you are "involved" with someone, you aren't single anymore. Okay, this could get so confusing, so we will just move on.....

Back to the Quartet; we all (everyone except for Christopher because he was working) gathered at The Chocolate Moose to eat supper. As we waited for the food, we were serenaded by the four delightful gentlemen. They were a show all by themselves, they sang, they told jokes and kept us all rolling until our order arrived. Then they sat down in the booth next to ours to eat their own supper. Part of the time, Spencer was turned around backwards, on his knees, just like a toddler, singing with them! He took the tenors place! They all loved him and Spencer enjoyed talking with them.

Now for you who don't know, Spencer used to work at the Moose and now Conner works there. At one point in time a well known man in the community came in, Spencer saw him and ask Andy if he thought that Max would remember him. Andy told him, most definitely, that he still asks about him. Spencer approached him and Max Wagner gave him a bear hug and was so delighted to see him. Spencer was able to introduce him to Stacia and catch him up on his life. It was fun to watch the interaction. So I can only guess we will be watching the same scene unfold in a few years with Conner.....

Saturday we celebrated Andy's 50th birthday. I had invited a few people but only Doug and Liza Blake were able to make it, but it was a good time. Andy wanted pork chops, so I bought a pork loin and Christopher sliced it for me Friday night, we marinated it over night and Spencer grilled them. We enjoyed each others company, Andy felt loved and all was good!!

I love it when our kids home, we sit around and drink coffee, sharing laughs, and breath each others air. It makes life worthwhile. We finally get to reap the benefits of all those diaper changes, listening to arguments, picking up messes! It's fun to have them all home......

No comments: